Butterfly/
Digital Illustration

'Butterfly & Flower' Illustration, 2017.
By Shannon Woodfield

Personal Brief:
Break away from drawing accurate details in flora and insects, instead making a digital illustration that mimicked the flow of using a brush and ink traditionally. 

Concept:
To use the digital tools in the same way I would with materials traditionally, whilst using the advantages of digital art and adding in tiny details later to bring the piece together

Solution:
I used a 100% opacity ink-style Photoshop brush that varies in width with the pressure you use on the pen of the graphics tablet. I also used a range of brushes that mimicked real effects such as watercolour blobs and spray paint to create a more textures and an abstract feel to it; then zoomed in to draw tiny areas of highlight, shading and detail. I like the blackest-black lines and bright colours that I can achieve easily with digital painting - although I tend to fall towards traditional means of illustration, it was a fun personal project to practise.

This piece can be found on stickers, notepads, mugs & more here!


SHANNON WOODFIELD.

No comments:

Post a Comment