Jamaica Inn Book Cover/
Djanogly Exhibition at Lake Side

'Jamaica Inn' Book Cover Design, 2017.
By Shannon Woodfield

Brief:
To design a book cover sleeve for the Djanogly exhibition at Lake Side Arts, Nottingham. 

Concept:
My chosen book was Jamaica Inn. I hadn't read the book previously to the project or heard too much about it, so my work was based on my personal reflections from reading the book myself. Since this is a book for an older audience, I wanted to show this through the cover design, through materials, colour and type.

Solution:
I chose the blue-green colours and watercolour waves based on the coast setting in the book. I made monoprint textures which I overlayed through the cover and the back, showing the grittiness and dark elements of the story, as well as the time period that it had been set in and the background of the characters in the book. I wanted to focus on making my type follow through with the textures and illustration of the background as if it were floating alongside the water, rather than just being placed on top. I also silver foiled the front cover title text, and the book title on the spine too, to represent the purity of some characters and the treasure they are trying to find. I was really happy with the outcome of this project.


SHANNON WOODFIELD.

No comments:

Post a Comment